Been silent for a bit, but wanted to update everyone on what’s going on. At the end of last year, we put the finishing touches on our holiday ale. This beer turned out to be a rather interesting brew that was a bit stronger than even we anticipated.
Through an equipment malfunction (our hydrometer that we use to measure specific gravity was a bit off), we ended up making the beer with a bit less water than we were supposed to (making a 4 gallon batch out of 5 gallons of ingredients). The result was what we thought it would be, but a bit thicker and stronger.
The ale itself was supposed to be a bit on the stronger side, from 7-8% alcohol, but I’d wager that the final product may be upwards of 10%, though I wasn’t able to measure because of the aforementioned equipment problem.
That being said, with about 5 bottles left, it’s time to look forward to our next project, a German kölsch. We’ve already brewed and done primary fermentation and are just watching it as it undergoes secondary fermentation. At this rate, we’re looking at bottling in a bit less than two weeks and maybe it’ll be ready in three to four.
Post a Comment